Saturday, January 9, 2016

I'll see you in the morning

Here is the why of the name. My husband has been friends with the same people since he was in middle school, and some even longer. And when you're in Jr. High, you're going to be a little dramatic. It's a requirement. Rite of passage for teens. And so, being the fantasy/sci-fi geeks they were (cool now, secret then), they had special phrases and sayings they would use with each other.

This was my favorite: when they would write to each other, especially on their missions (this was before texting or email was common- yes, all you born after 1990, that was a thing) they would sign off the same way. Rather than, "Love," or "Sincerely," they would write, "I'll see you in the morning." Their very important and slightly theatrical message meant, in essence, "If by some mischance or strike of fate we are not to meet again on this Earth, then I will see you in the morning of the first resurrection." I knew I was truly accepted among this group of friends when they started saying that to me as a farewell, too.

My mom, Sara, was recently diagnosed with brain cancer. Stage four. The final stage of the most aggressive form of brain cancer. This blog is to chronicle her journey and ours, her children and her family, from when everything started going wrong until as long after as it takes. The purpose of this isn't to convince you of anything- I'm not going to hold back talking about spiritual things or religion, because they are a significant part of this experience to us. They create context and explain a lot of the "whys" of things for us. I'm not sharing them so you'll believe, I'm sharing them because we do.

The post that follows this one is fairly depressing. It is full of the inciting incidents, the things that happened to cause us to take action. And this is a cancer story. It's a sad story, and a hard story, but that doesn't make it a bad story.  






4 comments:

  1. Thank you Angie for sharing this with us. It is a painful story and we hurt for your family. We love your parents and wish with all of our hearts that we could change this story and create a happy ending for it. We are helpless but know that our Savior has already taken care of the happy ending. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. So many tears. I love you and your family so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never forget the "I'll see you in the morning" and it's meaning for as long as I live. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie! I love the phrase, I'll see you in the morning! What a perfect name. Reading these passages, I feel like I'm talking to you, I can hear your voice. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete